Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Egg(less) Salad Sandwich

I'M CELEBRATING eggs this month. Well, not the egg as food, but as a symbol of new life. And since it's April, with many people observing Easter, I went
with an egg theme this month.

FROM as early as 5000 B.C., eggs have been colored, exchanged in friendship, and eaten to celebrate the coming of spring. Eggs are a symbol of rebirth and rejuvenation. Some ancient cultures believed the world began as an enormous egg. Many thought the egg had healing powers.

EGGS are hidden in nature, and the finding of eggs has long been likened to finding treasure. I painted a Robin's nest picture (with the story of my childhood searches for birds' eggs) for my art page (NadiSpencer.com). For 1st Saturday in Three Rivers (our local monthly event, 1stSaturdayTR.com), we hid colored eggs throughout town for customers to find.

SINCE I don't eat eggs now, but wanted to keep with the theme, I came up with this version of my old favorite. I like my sandwich simple, but you could also add chopped green onions, celery or carrots to the mixture.

Egg(less) Salad Sandwich

1 (12 ounce) package regular extra- firm tofu
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 scant teaspoon coarse salt

1. Place tofu in a towel and squeeze the water out.

2. Place tofu and all other ingredients in a bowl; mix well.

3. Place mixture on bread and add lettuce.

Note: There are 2 main kinds of tofu; silken and regular. Regular tofu is packed in water and sold in the refrigerator section. Silken is softer and is packaged in aseptic boxes that do not require refrigeration. Both kinds can be found in soft, medium, firm and extra-firm consistencies. They have the same ingredients but are made differently, and are not interchangeable in recipes.

My Vegan Recipe Greeting Cards are available at:
http://www.cafepress.com/NadiSpencer/6466741

No comments:

Post a Comment